Followers

5/6/10

May

May is here!  I can hardly believe that time has flown by so quickly.  My first semester of back to school is almost over.  I believe I'm going to get A's in both classes, which thrills me!  I did not study as much as I should, nor get fully immersed into the classes, however, I do feel like I learned the material, and honestly, no matter what grade you get, if you feel you learned...that's what makes the difference.  In fact, in my Human Behavior and Personal Adjustment class there is even an essay called "Getting Motivation Wrong"
This essay talks about how the school system beats it into kids heads to get a high grade or else!!!  I always worried about my grades, but not because my parents beat me if I got less than high grades, it was because they expected it of me...and knew I was capable of getting high grades.  I was interested in this point of view because I had never seen any other except what I was taught.  Talk about some mind bending info!

This is the first connection response to the 1st chapter in our books we used for the class called "I Never Knew I Had a Choice"  Fascinating book...

I never thought that having a Musical learning style would ever help me with anything. It really makes me feel better knowing that it is a style of learning, and not just a useless talent that I can only use in certain fields of work. I am fascinated with the different learning styles in Chapter 1, as well as the Self-Actualized person description. This is something I've been striving for now for quite some time, and did not know how to get there. I've learned more about myself by reading the first Chapter than I have going to therapy for a year, trying to find myself in the midst of the chaos that is my life. I believe the information I have been able to read and study so far, has really opened my eyes to my true calling, and my desire to help people. I wondered for years, even after the first 4 years of college (in a music based degree program) if that was really for me. I was not able to finish my basic classes, because I was so wrapped up in the Music part, and was only interested in one goal. That was 16 years ago, and now I realize that it took me becoming and adult, a mom, a wife, and now a student again, to discover my need to help people. Dead end jobs always depressed me. The job I have right now, is a stagnant one, there is no hope of moving up, just staying in the same room, at the same desk, doing the same thing day in and day out. I have been at this job longer than any other I have held in the past, so I know that I have matured enough to realize I have to stay at a job in order to get a raise, or keep my sense of loyalty to a corporation rather than just earn a paycheck from them. Being a mother, I see my children struggling with their emotions, and feelings, and I want to be able to help them in a productive way. My husband is also interested in psychology, and I have shared the information I have learned so far with him. The discussions I have with him help me understand the material better, and help me to determine a sense of identity that I am finally beginning to uncover about myself. This is just my first semester of going back to school, but already I am seeing that I am better at focusing, and following directions, than I was 16 years ago. I enjoyed reading about the pioneers in positive psychology, as well as Maslow's theories. The textbook is more than just a reference for me so far. I have been able to write down information from the questions the book asks, and have analyzed myself, in a way I have not been able to before. I believe it is because this course has approached learning in a different way, and I am pleased to be able to take a class that helps me understand the growth process. I am also enjoying reading the other student's responses, and am surprised at how many have similar issues as myself. I'm looking forward to continued learning!



I really enjoyed that class.  :)
In case anyone else is interested in it.  Jeffery Kee teaches it at Amarillo College.  I definitely recommend it as either a core class or just a personal growth class. 

1 comment:

Kent McManigal said...

I rarely made good grades, being much more interested in learning than "schooling".

I learned more by skipping class and hiding in the library than in 99% of my classes put together.