Followers

2/19/09

Doris Day as Calamity Jane :)







“In 1953 I made one of my favorite musicals, Calamity Jane..I loved portraying Calamity Jane, who was a rambunctious, pistol-packing prairie girl (I lowered my voice and stuck out my chin a little). I can’t say that the physical high jinks of jumping on horses, bars, wagons, and belligerent men or doing pratfalls in muddy streams seemed to be particularly exhausting…I had a great working relationship with my costar, Howard Keel, and absolutely first-rate songs to sing (by Sammy Fain and Paul Webster), one of which, ‘Secret Love,’ became my third million-plus recording and won that year’s Academy Award.”
Doris Day, Her Own Story



Behind the Scenes:
When Doris Day prepared to take a bath on the set of Calamity Jane there was excitement throughout the studio. It was to be a mud bath.

At one side of the sound stage a huge trough was filled with the finest San Fernando Valley’s finest earth. Studio workmen thoughtfully heated the water which they poured on the dirt with all the tenderness and care a chambermaid might lavish upon the Queen’s bath. All this preparation was for a sequence in which Doris, thoroughly drenched and muddied from falling into a creek, enters her cabin home where Howard Keel, Allyn McLerie and Philip Carey are awaiting the arrival of what they expect will be a beautifully gowned young lady.

When director David Butler announced he was ready to shoot the scene, Doris, wearing a yellow dress crated by famed fashion designer, Howard Shoup, stepped into the trough of mud with all the pleasant anticipation she might display at dipping into a perfumed bubble bath. “It’s wonderfully warm, though a bit lumpy,” declared the star. “This is like walking around in fudge. You must give me your recipe, boys.” But before Doris had a chance to say another word the boys grabbed her and politely, but firmly drop her full length into the trough. When she stood up she was covered from head to foot with mud and the Shoup dress was thoroughly deglamorized.

The director, however, still was not satisfied so he spread more mud on Doris, who was still enjoying every minute of this supposed ordeal. “How times change. As a little girl I was scolded for getting my party dress dirty while playing in the mud. Now I get paid for doing the same thing,” she remarked.
Derald Hendry


HIVE FULL OF HONEY
I've got two wonderful arms, I've got two wonderful lips,
I'm over twenty one, and I'm free!
Oh, I've got a hive full of honey for the right kind of honey bee.
I'm not the glamorous type, but I'm the amorous type,
you'll love the way I fit on your knee.
Oh, I've got a hive full of honey for the right kind of honey bee.
My daddy owns a railroad, and my maw is a millionaire,
and besides I'm an only child, do you think you could learn to care?
If you're the one I adore come on and get it before somebody shakes it down from the tree.
I've got a hive full of honey for the right kind of honey bee.
I got two wonderful arms, I got two wonderful lips, I'm over twenty one, and I'm free!
Oh, I've got a hive full of honey for the right kind of honey bee!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9PXFmKxNZo

1 comment:

Kent McManigal said...

Doris Day was certainly more attractive than the real Calamity Jane!