Followers

3/12/09

Creedo of Detachment

A Credo of Detachment~

You and I are in a relationship which I value and want to keep.

Yet each of us is a separate person with his own unique needs and the
right to try to meet those needs.

I know that when you lash out at me in anger it is because you are in
pain. I will try to have sympathy for that pain.

I will not accept your accusations or blame for those feelings; neither will I take your pain into myself.

I will respect your needs as much as I can, while always respecting my
own needs.

I will not search for solutions to your problems nor seek to solve your dilemmas...I will take care not to ask you to solve my problems or take the blame for them. Each of us will maintain his or her own dignity.

I promise to listen to you without judgment, always reserving the right to feel good about myself. I will not allow my character, my looks, or my intelligence to be assassinated, nor will I assassinate your character, looks, or intelligence.

I reserve the right to continue to develop as a person and will not
allow you to interfere with this right.

My prayer is for a healthy, mutually satisfying relationship, and to
that end I will strive to become what I am capable of being. I pray
that you too will strive to become what you are capable of being.

No comments: